If you are a person who seems to be less concerned about being overweight or keeping a healthy body weight. Then, it is imperative for you to know that according to various surveys and reports people who are overweight are at a higher risk of early fatality.
We often come across people who are not bothered about being unhealthy or keeping their body weight at check, because they are under the impression that gaining weight after a certain age is sacrosanct and one should not be much bothered about it.
However, the truth differs. Gaining excessive weight or being severely overweight can also occur due to your imbalanced lifestyle habits. This can attract several health problems such as stroke, diabetes, cancer, heart disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure, osteoarthritis, pregnancy issues, sleep apnoea and many more. It can adversely affect your mental health as well. Therefore, maintaining a healthy weight is as crucial as it is important for you to earn money for a living.
Why you should maintain a healthy body weight?
Maintaining ideal weight can benefit you in a number of ways like:
- Reduces the risk of stroke or heart disease
- Boosts the energy levels which helps increase efficiency at work
- Reduces the risks of developing some forms of cancer
- Strengthens the immune system which helps to fight back any infection or viruses in your body
- Avoid joint pain due to the less pressure accumulation in the joints
- Helps controlling non-insulin dependent diabetes
- Minimizes the risks of osteoporosis
- Reduces the risk of infertility
- Minimizes the risk of anaemia
- Helps to have more self-esteem
- Helps to manage high blood pressure
What are the causes for gaining weight?
- Lack of sleep
- Inactive lifestyle
- Consumption of drugs and alcohol
- Unhealthy food choices
- Sedentary lifestyle
Lastly, lack of commitment to lose weight or to maintain ideal body weight.
How to maintain an ideal body weight?
Let’s see how you can maintain a healthy weight:
- Maintain a high protein diet and avoid sugary foods: Try sticking to a high protein diet. Avoid having foods that contain fats, sugar and high levels of calorie such as pastries, cakes, cookies, ice-cream, French fries, potato chips etc. Also, abstain yourself from sugary drinks as these have high level of carbohydrates which can add up to your extra weight.
- Consume plenty of Fruits and vegetables: Try to have lots of fruit like apples, berries, kiwis, melons, avocados, oranges and vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, pumpkins, carrots, beans, mushrooms, spinach, kale, lettuce, etc. These vegetables and fruits are known for its fat burning capacity.
- Exercise: Try to indulge yourself in regular exercises or physical activity for at least 15-20 minutes. For example, try to walk rather than taking the car for covering small distances, take stairs instead of using elevator, etc. Indulging yourself on high intensity interval training like burpee, push-up, crunches etc., can also prove to be beneficial if you are targeting to lose weight quickly as it is highly effective.
- Change bad lifestyle habits: Try to maintain and cultivate a good lifestyle habits, such as getting enough sleep, drinking lots of water, restricting yourself from consumption of junk foods and street foods.
- Stress: In today’s world, stress is also considered to be one of the leading causes for gaining weight. The “stress hormone” cortisol is released during stressful situations along with hormones called epinephrine and norepinephrine that creates the “fight or flight” response to an alleged threat. Cortisol stimulates carbohydrate and fat metabolism for rapid energy. It also stimulates insulinrelease and also regulates blood sugar This can lead to an increase in appetite. Therefore, chronic stress, or depression, may cause to elevate cortisol levels that can stimulate your appetite level, which can actually become a grave cause for gaining weight.
- Curtail drugs and alcohol: Try to curtail down overconsumption of alcohol and only drink occasionally. Refrain yourself from taking steroids or any kind of drugs to avoid gaining weight.
- Know your weight: Weigh yourself on a regular basis to keep a check on your weight and try to take the necessary steps to know if there is any other reason linked to your weight gain. Consult a doctor or dietician whichever and whenever is necessary.
Calculation of ideal weight:
To identify your correct body weight, it is essential to know how it is calculated. Most people are unaware of their ideal body weight which and steps to be taken to maintain the ideal body weight. This is how you can compute ideal body weight:
For Men = 50 + (0.91 × [Height in Centimetres − 152.4])
For women =s 45.5 + (0.91 × [Height in Centimetres − 152.4]).