IMPORTANCE OF FULL BODY CHECKUP
We are only as good as our health; a statement that we all agree on but often forget to understand the depth of it. None of us think about falling sick or getting diagnosed with some major health conditions. That is where we are wrong, the ignorance towards our health is the biggest culprit.
We often hear that due to lack of early detection of a disease someone died or is suffering from some health issue. But, instead of paying heed towards all the warnings we choose to ignore our health.
What we need is to stop and rethink about the importance of our health. Nothing is worth ignoring our health and regular health check-up is a huge part of the health management plan.
WHY FULL BODY CHECKUP IS NECESSARY?
Due to rise in the level of pollution, food adulteration and contamination our immunity is constantly challenged. Many people don’t even know what disease are brewing inside their bodies. Therefore, a full body check-up is necessary for two grave reasons:
- For early detection of disease: One of the most prominent reasons for full body check-up is early detection of any potential disease which can lead to serious health issues. Early detection of a disease can help to take necessary steps in the prevention of disease and also helps to reduce the risk from spreading the disease further or to curtail any complications which can arise later.
- To determine how fit we are: Another importance of whole -body check-up is to determine our fitness status. A person already diagnosed with some disease or undergoing any treatment will have a clear picture of the health updates.
WHAT ARE THE TESTS INCLUDED IN FULL BODY CHECKUP?
Whole body check-up includes a diagnostic scan of the full body to assess existing health status which includes, heart, liver, kidney, and lung. It includes various types of tests. It may include Blood and urine test, thyroid function test (TSH, T3, T4), ultrasonography, X-ray, lung function test, ECG, kidney function test, liver function test (SGOT, SGPT, Serum Bilirubin), diabetes test (blood sugar PP, blood sugar fasting),Cardiac system test etc. Let’s discuss them in detail.
Age-wise health check-up test:
Tests which you should undergo when in your 20s and 30s are:
- Dental check and cleaning
- Blood pressure
- Glucose levels
- BMI, waist and hip measurements
- Certain cancer checks
- Testes self-checks (men)
- Breast self-checks (women)
- If you’re sexually active, ensure taking these tests:-
- Sexually Transmitted Infections screenings
- Pap smear for women (once in every two years)
Tests which you should undergo in your 40s include(the above -mentioned test should also be included):
- Risk Assessment Test against Type 2 Diabetes
- Risk Assessment test against Cardiovascular
- Mammogram for women
- PSA for men
- Eye checks
Lastly, when you hit the 50s and 60s, you should include all the above-mentioned tests along with the following:-
- Bowel cancer screening
- Visual acuity
- Hearing impairment tests
Due to the escalation in the number of lifestyle-diseases (diabetes, high cholesterol, stress obesity etc.) many diagnostic centres and hospitals offer whole body check-up to keep a proper check on the health status.
The full body check up cost varies a lot. One can always contact the service provider and get a personally devised full body check up package based on the individual’s need.