Best Indian Diet for Weight loss
India is a country endowed with rich traditional and food heritage. Indian food is famous for it’s flavourful spices and variety of dishes. Every region of India has its own specialized cuisine which differs from place to place. A lot of our dishes are packed with high calories and spices which may lead to weight gain and obesity if incorporated regularly in our diet.
The modern Indian palate takes this factor into consideration and provides a healthier set of eating habits. Healthy eating can help reduce the rise in obesity, heart diseases and diabetes rates among Indian population.
If we talk about the traditional Indian diet which mostly contains healthy choice of fruits and vegetables, legumes, cereal grain such as rice, wheat, corn, milk and milk products and oils can be both healthy and help promote weight loss. The traditional Indian diet also suggests low consumption of meat. It can be an insurmountable challenge to shed the extra pounds that you have gained by eating all the junk and high-calorie fast foods. But, healthy Indian food can be your way out to a better and healthier you.
Indian diet plan does not comprise of extraordinary or uncommon ingredients, rather it consists of food that already exists in our kitchen and are easily available in the local market. The only simple rule is to make a few healthy changes in the diet while devising a healthy diet plan.
Here are some foods that are part of healthy Indian diet plan that helps in weight loss:
- Indian spices: Indian spices like turmeric, coriander, black pepper, cardamom etc. are not only packed with flavour but are also loaded with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory essential oils. These spices improve our digestive health and help in reducing, gastritis, acidity and bloating.
- Pickles: Pickles which are fermented fruits or vegetables contain beneficial bacteria, high levels of antioxidants and fibre. Pickles are effective detoxifiers which help us stay healthy.
- Lemon and Indian gooseberry(amla): Amla and lemon both provide vitamin C which have tremendous fat-busting properties. Whenever you crave for an aerated drink, drink a glass of lemon or amla juice instead.
- Beans and lentils: Beans and lentils, an important part of our Indian diet plan are jam-packed soluble fibres and proteins which help in reducing waistline.
- Green leafy vegetables: Green leafy vegetables like spinach, fenugreek leaves, amarnath, mustard leaves are easily available in local vegetable market and are loaded with vitamins and have low calorie content. They help boost the energy levels and make you feel satiated.
- Nuts and seeds: Walnuts, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and pine nuts contain PUFA and amino acids which are good for heart health. They help in maintaining good cholesterol, improving blood flow and providing instant energy. A handful of these nuts and seeds help fight hunger pangs.
Here is an idea of a typical Indian healthy diet plan that can help you lose weight:
- Early morning: Start your day with a warm glass of water with few drops of lemon juice and a teaspoon of honey.
- Breakfast: Mixed veg daliya/vegetable uttapam/ oats porridge in skimmed milk/ Idli-sambar/ stuffed roti with curd/ dal cheela/ eggs. Breakfast should be protein rich.
- Mid-day snacks: A bowl of fruits or mixed nuts and seeds.
- Lunch: Whole wheat chapati, a bowl of pulses/ legumes, vegetable raita and salad/ curd.
- Evening: Protein shake, milk/ nuts and seeds/ any fruit.
- Dinner: Dal/ veggies with brown rice or roti / salad. Dinner should be light.
Some tips to follow along with your Indian diet plan:
- Eat freshly prepared home-made meals that comprises of local and seasonal ingredients.
- Breakfast should be wholesome like paratha, idli, poha, eggs.
- Eat 4-5 frequent meals.
- Processed and ready to eat foods should be strictly avoided.
- Do not skip breakfast. Have your breakfast within half an hour of waking up and dinner at least 2 hours before going to bed.
- Avoid overeating.
- Exercising or any other physical activity is important.
- 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep is necessary.
Along with a healthy diet plan, any form of exercise that you enjoy can aid in weight loss. Indian homemade food is an excellent choice to plan your weight loss diet, just keep in mind to use less oil or ghee. Any type of junk food whether Indian or western is bad, so stick to you traditional Indian diet plan.