Keeping your heart healthy and fit leads to a healthy you. Heart is the most important organ of the human body which performs many major functions and keeps you alive. So, it is of utmost importance to take good care of your heart.
Heart diseases in a lot cases can be fatal. The earlier you start focusing on your heart health, the better your life will be in the future. While on one hand, healthy diet and regular exercise help keep the heart healthy. Regular heart checkups and evaluation on the other hand enable you to track your heart health. Whether you have a heart disease and to prevent it.
Electrocardiogram (ECG) test is one of the simplest and fastest tests used to evaluate the functions of your heart. An electrocardiograph records the electrical activity of your heart and to a certain extent can identify if there are any abnormal blood circulation. It provides information about your heart rate and rhythm, a good picture of the shape and size of your heart and provides evidence of a previous heart attack ( if any) as well. Changes in an ECG can signify many heart-related problems.
You may have an ECG test as a part of your routine checkup:
- If you have risk factors such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol level or chest pain
- If you already have a heart disease
- If you have a family history of heart disease, diabetes or other risk factors
An ECG examination involves the following steps:
- The technician will ask you to remove the clothing from the waist up for the test and to lie flat on a table or bed
- 10 electrodes will be attached to the skin of your chest, arms and legs
- The lead wires will be attached to the electrodes
- While you lie flat on the table, the computer creates a picture on a graph paper of the electrical impulses that pass through your heart
- Once tracing is completed the leads and skin electrodes are removed.
- It takes only 10 minutes to complete the test
ECG machine produces an ECG strip and ECG interpretation is usually done by a healthcare professional or a cardiologist. A normal heart rate is 60-100 per minute. If the ECG test shows any deviation, it may indicate a potential heart problem.
An ECG examination helps detect many heart problems. You can then accordingly take the important measures to improve your heart health. It contributes towards your efforts to remain healthy as it helps you:
- To identify the cause of chest pain( if any)
- To evaluate problems such as severe tiredness, shortness of breath, dizziness or fainting, all of which may be a signal for a heart problem
- To identify the irregular heart beats
- To ensure the overall health of the heart before a heart surgery or various heart treatments
- To make sure how well the heart medicines you take are working
- To see if your heart is able to perform all the basic functions during a physical exam
The result of your ECG checkup determines how healthy is your heart and how smoothly it is working. It helps diagnose various heart problems and concludes what treatment and dietary changes are needed to remain healthy and fit.
A regular heart checkup is important because- “ when the heart is at ease, the body is healthy.”