What is acne ?
Acne is a skin condition, when hair follicles become clogged with oil and dead skin cells. This in turn causes blackheads, whiteheads, pimples which usually appear on the face, chest, back and shoulders. Acne is very common amongst teenagers, though people in all ages can get it.
There are various factors that contribute to the growth of acne-
- Hormonal changes caused during pregnancy and puberty.
- Certain medications, such as birth control pills or corticosteroids.
- Hereditary, for example if your parents had acne, you have high chances of getting acne too.
- Consumption of foods high in refined sugar and junk food like chips and breads.
- In certain cases, dairy products also induce acne.
- Some people get acne by stress, and other stress related factors.
- Skin infections, by coming in contact with some dirt, or not maintaining good hygiene standards also result in acne and break outs.
- Certain cosmetics and face products also cause infection and acne.
- Irregular sleeping patterns and not drinking enough fluid also mildly contribute towards acne.
Different symptoms can indicate different types of acne. Blackheads, whiteheads, red bumps on the face, puss filled pimples, are all signs of acne. In some severe cases, acne can also result in depression, low self-esteem as a result of the scars and the dark patches left on the skin.
Treatment & Medication
There ate numerous mays and methods to treat acne. People opt for a variety of methods, ranging from medical help, cosmetology help and home remedies. For severe acne consult your dermatologist and ask her to advice on medicines and skin care supplements and creams.
There are also variety of treatments from basic facials, microdermabrasion, peels to more extensive treatments for acne. One of these or a combination can be opted for by consulting a dermatologist.
The following home remedies are popular to deal with acne-
- Applying ice on the zit.
- Home made face pack of curd, besan and lemon/papaya/turmeric/honey etc.
- Minimising the use of toner.
- Applying drying packs like fresh sandalwood or fullers earth with rose water.
- Using aloe vera on skin also helps to cam the eruptions.
- Applying honey on the face
- Rubbing a peel of lemon and letting it dry before rinsing it off.
- Drinking lots of water and fluids
- Increasing intake of fresh fruits and vegetables
Acne can be avoided by taking the following steps-
- Washing hands at regular intervals.
- Keeping face clean by washing it twice a day with a facial cleanser.
- Reducing stress
- Exercising regularly
- Washing the sweat out of the face after exercising
- Avoiding make up that contains oil and clogs pores
- Removing make up from face every night before bed
- Eating a healthy diet with minimum refined sugars and junk food
- Avoid tight fitting clothing
Following a proper skin care regime of cleansing, toning and moisturising.