Acne is a common skin condition that can affect anyone from kids, teenagers to adults. Acne condition can result in various types of blemish such as:
- Blackheads or whiteheads
- Pimples (small, red inflamed spots on the skin)
- Pustules (pimples containing pus)
Acne problem is not dangerous but can be annoying and can leave acne scars as well. Avoiding certain habits can help deal with the acne problems and a proper acne scar treatment helps clear up the skin. But, before discussing how to get rid of the acne problem, let’s know about the causes and various factors that lead cause acne problem.
Causes of acne:
When the pores of your skin get blocked with oil, dead skin or bacteria, acne occurs. Human skin has pores which connects to the oil glands under the skin. Follicles which are small sacs made up of a hair and sebaceous glands that produce and secrete liquid, connect the oil glands to the pores.
The oil glands release an oily liquid called sebum, which travels up the hair, out of the pore to the skin surface. The sebum is responsible for keeping your skin soft and lubricated. Problems in the lubrication process can cause acne. Acne occurs when:
- Follicles produce too much oil
- Dead skin cells get accumulated in the pores
- Bacteria buildup in the pores
Pimples develop when blocked hair follicles are infected with bacteria, ultimately producing inflammation. A dermatologist may help you identify the cause of your acne problem. Acne care and treatment can proceed accordingly.
Risk factors for developing acne include:
- A rise in androgen levels
- Genetic factors
- Hormonal changes caused by pregnancy and puberty
- Certain medications or drugs containing corticosteroids, testosterone or lithium
- Consuming foods which are high in refined sugar and carbohydrates
Following a good skincare regime, a few changes in our daily habits and lifestyle and use of over-the-counter gels and acne creams can help dodge the acne problem.
6 best ways to get rid of the acne problem are discussed in detail below:
- Follow a good skin care routine: Adopting a good skin care routine and sticking to it can help in getting rid of acne problem to a great extent. Wash your face twice a day with a mild cleanser, it will help keep the skin clean and reduce irritation and sensitivity. Topical medication may also be recommended by the doctor.
- It is important to moisturize: Don’t forget to apply a light moisturizer after washing your face, it may help improve the appearance of pimples or acne. Use of a non-comedogenic moisturizer won’t clog your pores which result in breakouts. Products containing ceramides are a great choice for skin prone to acne.
- Good sleep is important: Not getting good sleep can increase the chances for the growth of bacteria in blocked pores and pimples also won’t heal fast. Lack of good sleep makes you stressed and this increases the production of glucocorticoids(steroid hormones), which further worsen acne.
- Lifestyle changes: Eating healthy, sleeping well and drinking plenty of water are a few lifestyle changes that can help you get rid of your acne problem. Never pick or squeeze a pimple. Squeezing a pimple can cause acne scars and spread of bacteria to other areas of your skin. Leave your acne or acne scar alone, it will fade ultimately but can take months.
- Keep your hair clean: If your hair has excess oil, it can travel to the skin and can lead to acne problem or worsen it. Wash your hair regularly, it may stop acne from developing, especially ones which are close to the hairline. Using products like hair gels or sprays on the face can also clog pores and cause breakouts, so refrain from using them.
Read more…Top Ten Foods for Healthy Skin
- Seek medical help: You can use over-the-counter medicines for mild acne, but if the condition worsens seek help from a dermatologist. A dermatologist will be able to prescribe you medication which will help manage and get rid of the acne. Give an acne treatment at least 4 weeks to show the result or as said by the doctor. Acne treatment may take time to work. Avoid trying different treatments every few days, it can irritate your skin and make the problem worse.