Importance of Preventive Health Check-up
“Prevention is better than cure”– How many times have you heard this proverb? Innumerable times, right?
Still a lot of us tend to take our health for granted. Until and unless we face any severe health issue. But, ignoring your health can be fatal. Therefore, it is cardinal to take correct actions before it is too late.
Several health centres are now conducting preventive health check-up to identify any health related issue which has a risk of turning grave in the future. It helps to minimize the health related fatality rate. Due to the introduction of preventive health plan check-up, it has been observed that the life expectancy rate all over the world has been in rise for a couple of years.
Since preventive health plan check-up helps in early detection of disease, people get more time to treat the disease with care. This in turn reduces the risk of mortality and enhances the quality of life in many ways as we all know “health is wealth.”
Preventive health check-up plan includes a thorough check-up of your full body to know your health status. It comprises tests such as blood test, urine test, ultrasonography, cardiac test and lung function test. There are other tests as well which can be included.
Let’s see the tests which are generally recommended for the age group between 20- 40s are as follows:
- Dental check and cleaning
- Blood pressure
- Glucose levels
- BMI, waist and hip measurements
- Certain cancer checks
- Testes self-checks (men)
- Breast self-checks (women)
If you’re sexually active, ensure taking these tests:
- Sexually Transmitted Infections screenings
- Pap smear for women (once in every two years)
Other tests which should be done for the age group between 40- 60s are as follows:
- Risk Assessment Test against Type 2 Diabetes
- Risk Assessment test against Cardiovascular
- Mammogram for women
- PSA for men
- Eye checks
- Bowel cancer screening
- Visual acuity
- Hearing impairment tests
Read more…Best Ways to Maintain Ideal Body Weight
Read more…Best Health Checkup Packages for Men
What are the benefits of preventive health care check-up?
- Early detection of disease: The prime benefit of preventive health check-up is early detection of disease which increases the possibility of successful treatment and helps to address the issue immediately which reduces the risk of spreading the disease later.
- Helps to know the detailed heath status: Another main benefit of preventive health check-up is it helps you to gain knowledge about your health status, therefore guides you to take the required steps.
- Increases the zest for life: When the health suffers, it tremendously drains out the energy and makes every single day seems like an unending struggle. Early treatment helps you to recover your health rapidly which makes you feel highly motivated and increase the zest for living life to the fullest.
- Helps to lead a healthy lifestyle: It makes you more cautious and compels you to take proper care of your health. Thereby, helps you to curb bad habits such as smoking, over consumption of alcohol, taking drugs which can severely affect your health. Preventive health check-up is needed to cultivate good habits and to lead a healthy lifestyle.
A medical insurance policy permits you to avail tax deduction under Section 80D of Income Tax Act for any cost incurred for preventive health check-ups. You can avail up to Rs 5000 for the expenses incurred for preventive health check-ups for self, spouse, parents and children.
Therefore, without ignoring one should undergo for preventive health care check-up at least once a year to lead a carefree life.